What are NDIS supported holidays?
If you require extra supports when going on a holiday, the NDIS may be able to cover the cost of these supports. Depending on your goals and needs, potential supports that may be covered include:
- Supports provided by a support worker
- Specialised equipment hire
- Additional costs for accessible transport
- Additional costs for accessible accommodation
How does NDIS holiday funding work?
Most costs you incur during your holiday are probably not going to be directly related to your disability. As such, the NDIS generally doesn’t fund holiday costs. However, if your disability makes taking a holiday harder or more expensive, you may be able to use your funding to cover some of the costs.
What may be funded with NDIS holiday funding?
Depending on your goals and personal circumstances, several supports may be claimed including:
Supports provided by a support worker
If you need direct support while on holiday, the care your support worker provides while travelling can be claimed as it usually would be.
Some things to keep in mind:
- As you are likely to need supports more frequently during your trip, make sure you have the necessary funding available.
- We recommend you and the support worker agree to the costs before going on your trip. Make sure you discuss how many hours they will be invoicing for and at what rate. This will help ensure that you don’t overspend and burn through your funding.
- Only the services provided by the support worker may be covered through the NDIS. Expenses such as their accommodation or travel costs would not be funded.
- Consider travelling in a group where support workers can tend to the needs of multiple Participants. This can be a great way to increase your social participation while also reducing your expenses.
If you need to hire specialised equipment to assist with everyday mobility needs while travelling, you may be able to claim for them.
If the cost of transport is more expensive due to your disability, then you may be able to claim the cost for transport.
NDIS holiday accommodation may be funded if your accommodation costs are higher due to needing an accessible room.
What isn’t claimable?
Costs of the holiday that are not directly related to your disability status are not able to be claimed by the NDIS. This includes expenses such as:
- Accommodation that is not disability- related
- Transport that is not disability-related
Are there providers that can help me take an NDIS supported holiday?
Some companies specialise in providing NDIS supported holiday packages for people with disabilities. They will be able to tell you what portions of their packages can be claimed from your NDIS funds and what you will need to cover yourself. If you’d like more information, you can search for providers online or ask your Support Coordinator/LAC for some recommendations.
Is this reasonable and necessary?
If you are unsure whether you are able to fund NDIS supported holidays, then the main thing is that you need to reflect upon whether the support is reasonable and necessary to achieve the goals set out in your plan.
If you have questions surrounding what can be claimed while on holiday, give us a call on 1300 800 110.