The NDIA has temporarily allowed extra flexibility for NDIS participants to purchase low-cost Assistive Technology. As an NDIS participant, you can now use your NDIS consumables or core funding to buy smart devices and fitness equipment, in consultation with your support providers.
According to the NDIA, participants can now use their existing NDIS funding to purchase an item if:
- it will maintain funded NDIS supports like a program, therapy or requirement (for example physiotherapy or Auslan interpreting provided via video conferencing), and
- the provider of supports has confirmed in writing the device is necessary to continue supports and services while maintaining physical distancing requirements, and
- it is the lowest specification that will maintain funded supports, and
- they do not already have the item, another suitable item or access to the item, and
- the item has not been funded by another service system (such as education), and
- the item or circumstances are not specifically excluded.
Participants are able to spend up to $1500 on low cost AT items from their existing budgets.
This is a time-limited policy which will be in place until September 2020 and will be reviewed at the end of June 2020.
NDIS funding cannot be used for:
- any item that does not relate to the participant’s disability or that doesn’t help to maintain NDIS funded supports and services
- devices with specifications beyond the minimum needed
- smartphones, smartwatches, iPads or tablets with mobile connections (e.g. 3G or 4G)
- multiple devices
- replacements for loss or damage
- utility costs (internet connection)
- additional hardware or accessories
- purchase of items when rental options may be appropriate.
Written advice required
The NDIA requires written advice from your support provider to confirm that the device is necessary and appropriate for you to continue NDIS funded supports and services. We have attached a template you or your provider may use to document the written advice. The NDIA requires the written advice to be submitted along with the invoice or receipt for the device when you claim from the NDIS.
Please refer to the NDIS website for more information and latest updates
Please enter your name and email address below to download the 'Written Advice Form'.