Increased flexibility for meal preparation and delivery to assist NDIS participants in lockdown
Meal preparation and delivery may be funded by the NDIS if a participant is unable to prepare food due to factors directly relating to their disability. The NDIA has just introduced a temporary measure outlining new rules for how you may claim for meal preparation and delivery during the current COVID-19 lockdowns.
What the rules were?
Previously, participants could only claim for meal preparation if it was a stated support in their plan. A quote was needed from the supplier and inflexible funding was added to the plan during the plan meeting.
What the rules are now?
- Currently use some of their Core funding to pay for support workers to assist with meal preparation or shopping
- Live in an area where stay at home restrictions apply
This measure will be reviewed on 1 December 2021.
What does this mean?
Participants who meet the above conditions, may be able to claim for this support using the Core funding in their current plan. This will help ensure that participants continue to have access to meal preparation supports while reducing the need for a support worker to come to their home.
Which locations are included?
As of 12 September 2021, the following Local Government Areas (LGAs) are considered eligible:
- All LGAs in the ACT and VIC
- The following LGAs in NSW: Bayside, Blacktown, Burwood, Campbelltown, Canterbury-Bankstown, Cumberland, Fairfield, Georges River, Liverpool, Parramatta, Strathfield
- The following suburbs in Penrith: Caddens, Claremont Meadows, Colyton, Erskine Park, Kemps Creek, Kingswood, Mount Vernon, North St Marys, Orchard Hills, Oxley Park, St Clair and St Marys
The eligibility of these locations is subject to change. Please check the NDIS COVID Addendum for updates to eligible areas.
Keep in mind
- The cost of the ingredients is not funded by the NDIS, only the cost of preparation and delivery
- No additional funding will be added to the Core budget to accommodate the increased flexibility
Get in touch with us by calling 1300 800 110 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.